Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Her vote counts for Pride.

One of the things we've wanted to do for Chloe is to be the first to talk to her about Gay and Lesbian issues, laws, etc.  We want to be sure that she has confidence and knowledge around these topics before any unsupporting people talk to her about them.  So, one afternoon, I started a conversation with her about what it means to be gay, and that she has a home with two lesbian moms.  These are things we've talked about before, but I wanted to start off on common ground.  She remembered well, and approached the entire conversation as if it were no big deal.  I was relieved, of course, and didn't try to make it any more of an issue.  Then I asked her if she knew that some people didn't think that lesbians or gay men should be couples. She said she'd heard about that before. She told me that she knew they were wrong, because she loves our family, and she said "I don't really care if Abby is a girl or a boy, I love her just the way she is- and I love our family just the way it is."  I smiled and squeezed her.  I told her I love our family, too. Then I asked her if  she knew that right now it is actually illegal for us to get married.  She whipped her head toward me with big eyes and said "huh?" in a little squeak.  She was so surprised. I told her that years ago, a lot of those people who didnt want gays and lesbians, made a law that said we couldn't get married like everyone else. I explained to her about the laws and how getting married isnt just about having a wedding.  Then we talked about how now, all the people who know it's right to allow everyone to get married are working really hard to change the law so it is right and fair. She was immediatly relieved and happy. We talked about the upcoming vote in November and how it will be wonderful for everyone to be able to marry anyone they love, no matter what. 
I explained voting and how we need to make sure everyone who wants the law to change absolutely needs to vote.  She said, "How do you vote?  Raise your hand?"  I giggled and explained it to her.  When I told her that anyone who is older than 18 can vote, she was surprised and dissapointed that she couldn't.  I assured her that Abby and I would take all of her voting energy and add it to our votes.  That way hers could count through ours.  She knew it was a bit silly, but she felt a bit better. 

It was a short conversation, but an important one.  We are making sure to talk to her about important stuff in short talks but frequently enough for her to remember the last time.  Each conversation has a little bit more detail and she is doing really well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment