Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Family movie with tears

We watched a bit of a tear jerker movie for family movie night.
"A Shine of Rainbows"
Early in the movie we'd wondered aloud what might happen as the story went on. Chloe and I both agreed with Abby's prediction that something sad would happen, and then the boy would find a way to be happy again.
Chloe was sitting next to me. When it started getting real sad I felt her squeeze her cheek into my arm and she started moving her hair in front of her face. I didn't want her to be embarrassed of her feelings, so I said "Wow, this movie makes my heart hurt like the little boys', it makes my tears come out for him." In a tiny little voice I heard Chloe say. "Me too."
Sadly, the little boys' mom was had gotten ill and passed away.
We talked about our feelings and the movie and their feelings as the movie went on.
Near the end, Chloe quietly got up and walked upstairs. My little heart was nearly mush by then seeing her feel so deeply empathetic. It was very touching. We decided to wait for a few minutes until we checked on her. She came back down and silently handed me this note before she finished watching the movie.

Mommy tears are always the hardest to contain. So I didn't even try.

At bedtime, she was so affectionate and emotional an weapy. It was super sweet to see her let her delicate feelings out. We just listened to her and made sure she felt cozy and comforted before saying goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment