Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Grumpy mommy

I got grumpy with Chloe today in the van. I didn't like how I sounded at all. So I pulled the van over and turned around to see her. I said "I'm sorry I got so grumpy with you. I don't want to talk to you that way."
She was sad about it and when I apologized she let her feelings show. She put her chin down and said softly. "When you said that, I felt like you didn't know me at all."
I froze. My mommy-heart broke a little. She was right. What I'd said had diminished her very real feelings. And one thing I know about Chloe, is that she's got very big feelings. Of course she felt like I didn't know her at all. I was acting like I didn't. Where did she get so much wisdom?
So I said: "I understand, and I'm sorry. I love you and I do know you- I just let my grumpiness get in the way." I was reaching back into her lap and holding her hand. She started reaching for me like she wanted a hug, but made do with squishing my hand to her cheek.

Then she threw a paper airplane at me, and giggled. I giggled to- I guess that means she forgives me.

No comments:

Post a Comment